Bloke died after becoming ‘sandwiched’ between two walls on walk home from pub
A man died after becoming "sandwiched" between two walls on his walk home from the pub, an inquest heard.
David John Maw, who was walking home days after Christmas, was found in a "concertina-type" position by a member of the public in Barry, Wales, on December 28.
The inquest heard that Mr Maw, 64, was unsteady on his feet when he left the Tadross Pub and was found just a short walk away the following morning.
He was found by Robert Hewins at around 9am on his way home from a night shift, reports WalesOnline.
He noticed the body describing it as "sandwiched" between the boundary of the wall of the house and the wall bordering Everard Street.
In a statement read to the court he said: "I could see that someone's feet were poking out around the corner of a house.
"I looked over the wall and could see that there was a person crumpled up between the side of a house and the boundary wall with Everard Street. I shouted over and there was no response."
He went into the front of the adjoining property and said he could see the body was "crumpled" and the "head being bent almost underneath".
The inquest heard there was a "high drop" from the ledge of about five feet into the alleyway. Police were called to the scene and Mr Maw, of Birmingham, was declared dead.
Officers said his body was positioned in an "almost concertina-type" position between the boundary wall and the exterior wall of the property in Gladstone Road.
The boundary wall was described as located along the downward slope of Everard Street and was around six feet in height.
Kim Smith, Mr Maw's sister, said her brother was visiting for a few weeks over the Christmas period. She described their festive period as "one of the best we ever had".
He arrived in Barry on December 15 and on December 27 they got up at around 8am and took her dog for a walk. At around 6pm Mr Maw and Darren Walters, Ms Smith's partner, left to go to the pub. Mr Walters arrived home at around 9pm and said Mr Maw was having a "couple more" drinks with their friend Tina at the Tadross pub.
Huge coronavirus outbreak at factory sees 350 families affected and 75 positive cases
Ms Smith went to bed at around midnight but woke up at around 7am to find her brother had not returned. She tried to call and text him a number of times but received no reply. She was then informed that police cordoned off an area in Gladstone Road.
A statement read to the hearing said: "I made my way straight there and spoke to the police. I told them that my brother hadn't come home from last night."
Ms Smith then asked to see the body and she confirmed to officers at the scene that it was her brother.
Tina Williams, a friend of Mr Maw, was drinking with him in the pub on the night of the incident. She said Mr Maw told her he was going to walk home but she encouraged him to get a lift and "not be silly".
Ms Williams attempted to get his phone to get someone to collect him but he insisted he would walk home alone. A statement read to the court said: "By this time I thought that maybe he had a little too much to drink but he wasn't that bad."
CCTV captured Mr Maw leaving the pub. Assistant coroner Rachel Knight said: "Just prior to him leaving he seemed to be very unsteady on his feet and stumbled into people who were standing drinking at the bar and uses these people to steady himself."
He was recorded as leaving the pub at 10.53pm before walking down Bassett Street.
A post-mortem found a laceration on the back of Mr Maw's head and rib fractures on both sides.
Toxicology tests found that he had a blood alcohol level of 269mg per 100ml, described as "compatible with the consumption of a large amount of alcohol before death".
His cause of death was given as "positional asphyxia in a man who has sustained a fall from a height with a blood alcohol level of 269mg/decilitre".
In her conclusion Ms Knight said "it is more likely than not" that the level of alcohol detected played a "causative role" in how he came to leave the pavement.
Ms Knight recorded a conclusion of alcohol-related accidental death.
Source: Read Full Article