Bloke stuns doctors with miracle recovery after ‘dying’ for half an hour

A man who suffered a cardiac arrest so bad that doctors thought he would die, advising his family to switch off his life support machine, is making a miraculous recovery.

Sean Chilvers, 30, suffered a brain injury when he collapsed in his room and 'died' for 30 minutes – but luckily his mum was present at the time and called 999, after which she performed life-saving CPR on her son.

Doctors couldn't work out what had caused Sean to become so ill, and had to put him in an induced coma in hospital, reports StaffordshireLive.

Medics found he had suffered kidney failure, which caused the cardiac arrest – something often seen in drug addicts, but Sean did not take drugs.

At one point, Sean was so poorly that his family were told that they should consider turning off his life support machine.

Knowing Sean was a fighter, they refused – and he has since made amazing progress.

  • Kate Garraway told husband unlikely to recover if no progress made in two years

Eventually, doctors discovered he had an underlying, undetected health condition with too much potassium in his blood which caused his kidneys to fail.

They told the family they would have expected him not to have been able to walk, talk and to have collapsed continually in the lead up to the cardiac arrest – none of which happened to Sean.

  • AJ Pritchard's girlfriend Abbie Quinnen bravely shows scars from fire trauma on Lorraine

Doctors also told the family he may never be able to talk again – but he has proved them wrong, and continues to improve every day.

His mum Michelle said: "He is our little miracle and I will make him see how much he is loved. I just want him to come home.

"He has done amazing."

  • Christian Eriksen 'sends greetings to Denmark team-mates' morning after horror collapse

Sister Amy said: "It's been a rollercoaster of different emotions. The amount of times we've nearly lost him as his immune system is low has been terrifying. It hasn't been very nice.

"But he is still here, we just have to accept that a part of Sean has gone no matter how hard he is trying but we love him regardless."

Sean started to feel ill just after Christmas last year, but put it down to a sickness bug.

In February, he started to feel ill again but began to pick up. On Saturday, February 13, he was in his room watching TV and told his mum that he felt okay.

However, after looking at him, Michelle knew he was not well and called for an ambulance. In that minute Sean collapsed on the bed and Michelle was talked through how to give CPR over the phone, she said.

  • Student left with half a skull and horror injuries after jumping from bridge

Sean was transferred to the intensive care unit at Burton's Queen's Hospital. He was put in an induced coma for six weeks, but after four days, his family was given the devastating news that doctors thought it was best to turn off the machines.

However, they refused and determined Sean hung on and was later transferred to the high dependency unit at the Royal Derby Hospital.

Michelle said: "It took a while to figure out what had happened as he baffled them. His kidneys had packed up and that had caused the cardiac arrest. He shouldn't have been able to walk or talk and passing out all the time but he wasn't.

  • Kate Garraway's mum rushed to hospital after fall as star faces new health scare

"If he was taking drugs they would've understood what happened but Seany didn't take drugs."

His underlying health condition led to the kidney failure, which means that he will be on dialysis for the rest of his life.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

Sean's family are hoping that once he is home, he will continue to recover. Due to Covid restrictions, the family has been limited to when they can see Sean, but have been able to FaceTime him daily.

Amy said: "We can't say thank you enough. I don't think Sean realises how much he is loved. We've read him messages that we've been sent but he doesn't really understand.

"The support has been incredible and people can't do enough for him. We really appreciate it as it's been a massive help. When he's home and he can see people it will make all the difference."

Source: Read Full Article