Boy, 5, on life support after being ‘brutally punished with metal pole’

A five-year-old boy who was allegedly beaten to within an inch of his life by his mum and her boyfriend has been placed on life support in what has been described by one doctor as the worst case of suspected child abuse he had ever seen.

The child, a boy, 5, is on life support following an alleged attack at his home in Cabramatta, in Sydney, Australia.

Neighbours raised the alarm on Friday night and police raced to the home where the boy's mother, 31, and her new boyfriend, 20, were arrested.

It has been alleged the boy was beaten when a disciplinary "smacking" turned violent, the Sunday Telegraph reported.

  • Daily Star's newsletter brings you the biggest and best stories – sign up today

The boy was transferred to The Children's Hospital in Westmead, where Doctor Fowler, said the alleged case was one of the worst suspect child abuse cases he had ever seen.

He said examining the boy made him "physically sob" and has put an "army" of medical professionals in place to help him.

The child had marks that looked like cigarette burns on his body and splinters in his feet and bottom.

He has since been placed on life-support at the hospital and is allegedly suffering brain damage as a result of the attack.

Dr Fowler tweeted: "'One admission overnight.

"The worst case of suspected child beating I've ever seen in my professional career.

"One that made me physically sob whilst examining. I can't even right now."

And added: "Well kiddo! Here's the good news.

"There's now an ARMY of health and community professionals on your side.

"Day 1 has begun."

The child's mum and her new boyfriend appeared in Parramatta Bail Court on Saturday and where she denied charges of providing for a child and causing danger of serious injury.

Her boyfriend denied charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and was denied bail in order to protect the child.

His lawyer, Dominic Gleeson, had argued the man would live in Yagoona and not visit his girlfriend or the alleged victim and said he could be in prison for months if the case went to trial.

The boy's mother did not apply for bail, and an apprehended violence order was made to protect the alleged victim.

Source: Read Full Article