Child pronounced dead at scene of huge gas explosion that destroyed entire house

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

We have more newsletters

A child was confirmed dead at the scene of a huge gas explosion that destroyed an entire house this morning, the London Ambulance Service has confirmed.

The blast, in a street that neighbours say has been plagued by a strong smell of gas for a number of days, rocked other homes nearby when it occurred shortly after 7.30am on Monday morning (August 8).

An ambulance service spokesperson confirmed: “This morning, alongside colleagues from London fire brigade, we attended an incident in Galpin’s Road, Thornton Heath.

READ MORE: Girl, 4, still missing after house explosion on street 'plagued by gas smell'

“We treated four people. One was discharged on scene and three others were taken to hospital. Sadly, a child was also pronounced dead at the scene.

“All London ambulance service crews have now been stood down.”

Witnesses head earlier reported three people, who had been in a house that collapsed, had been stretchered away, according to Thornton Heath Chronicle.

People living in the area said a woman and four children had lived in the collapsed house.

Galpin’s Road residents Delroy Simms, 62, and Kutoya Kukanda, 50, have been called “heroes” after they rescued three children from the house moments after the blast.

  • Family survives house fire after jumping out second-floor window onto trampoline

Mr Simms, dressed in his pyjamas by the cordon, told PA: “I was getting ready to go to work when I heard the explosion.

“I already knew what it was because that gas was smelling all week, really strong.

"It was giving me a headache yesterday. My neighbour has been calling them (gas engineers) all week.”

“When I heard the explosion it was like an earthquake,” he said.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

"It shook me up, and my house. The shutters on our windows blew off their hinges.

“I went to the window and saw the devastation.”

Mr Simms said that Mr Kukanda passed children out to him as bricks were still falling from the structure.

LFB said the cause of the explosion is unknown, and there is no update yet as to when residents can return to their homes.


  • For more of the latest news from the world of the Daily Star, check out our homepage.
  • Cornwall shark attack boat sets sail with brave customers days after horror bite

  • Tangled paraglider sent into tailspin as he plummets to ground without parachute

  • Bloke who thought he'd die trapped in lift for seven hours gets £25 compensation

  • Struggling foot fetish actor 'bullied into selling crack cocaine' to fund gambling woes

  • Breaking News

Source: Read Full Article