EU war warning: Poland expects escalation of armed nature in bitter border row

Belarus: Migrants mass at Kuznica-Bruzgi border with Poland

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Up to 4,000 migrants have already gathered at the border with Belarus, according to the Polish Government. Speaking about the situation, Mateusz Morawiecki, Prime Minister of Poland called it “a new type of war in which people are used as human shields”.

While a spokesperson for the Polish Government warned that measures may need to be taken to bring an end to the row.

Polish government spokesman Piotr Muller said: “We expect that there may be an escalation of this type of action on the Polish border in the near future, which will be of an armed nature.

Mr Muller added that “people linked to Belarusian special services” were to blame as they were crucial in organising the border breach attempt.

Although 4,000 migrants are already at the border in Belarus, this number is said to be far greater elsewhere.

An estimated 10,000 more are believed to be in other areas of Belarus, and are plotting a cross over the border into Poland.

Mr Morawiecki took aim at Vladimir Putin over the ongoing crisis at the Belarus-Poland border.

The PM held an emergency parliamentary meeting on Tuesday after attending the border and meeting the troops who were there.

Mr Morawiecki said: “This attack which Lukashenko is conducting has its mastermind in Moscow, the mastermind is President Putin.”

The Polish Prime Minister stated that it was the first time in which Poland’s national security had been so “brutally attacked”.

But Belarus is reluctant to be dragged into the threats of armed escalation by Poland.

DON’T MISS
Anna Soubry moans Boris’ critics are blocked from roles [OPINION]
‘No chance! ‘ Britons FURIOUS as Macron sets date to ban English [REACTION] 
Should English be BANNED as language of EU after French demands? VOTE [VOTE]

Alexander Lukashenko, President of Belarus, said he is “not a madman” as he acknowledges a war with Poland would not be an acceptable conclusion to the ongoing dispute.

However, defiantly, the 67-year-old warned that Belarus will “not kneel down” to Poland.

Polish President Andrzej Duda acknowledged that Belarus were attacking not only the Polish border, but also the EU with their actions.

The 49-year-old said at a press conference in Warsaw on Tuesday: “The Belarusian regime is attacking the Polish border, the EU, in an unparalleled manner.

“These are aggressive actions that we must repel, fulfilling our obligations as a member of the European Union.” 

Source: Read Full Article