Father and son duo become first ever to cross English Channel on hoverboards

A father and son duo have become the first people ever to cross the English Channel non-stop on a hoverboard-like Efoil board.

Rob Wylie, 51, and his 19-year-old son Morgan now hold the world record after completing the 23 mile crossing in a speedy one hour and 44 minutes.

They completed the amazing feat on Fliteboards, electric-powered hydrofoil boards that can travel up to speeds of 20mph and hover 3ft above the water.

The pair managed to do the journey on one battery charge, although Rob worryingly had just 4% battery left when they reached the finish line at Folkestone, Kent.

Speaking to Metro, Rob said: "Ever since I first experienced riding on a Fliteboard, I was hooked as I knew this was going to be the next generation of water-sports.

"I was so impressed that I also invested in the company to join the Fliteboard story and support building awareness around the product and the eFoiling as a whole."

Rob and Morgan set off from Cap Griz Nez in France and had some unfortunate falls off their boards due to being 'tripped up' by the masses of underwater seaweed and foliage.

  • Harry and Meghan willing to 'breach own privacy' with Netflix show in UK, expert claims

The father and son also had to navigate their way past abandoned fishing crats and the famous container ship Evergreen.

They were supported by two boats with professional crew from OTS Watersports, the first authorised Fliteschool in the UK.

Technology used to power the Fliteboard is fairly new and was only released to the public two years ago.

"The channel crossing has not only set a new world record but also proves how advanced Fliteboard’s technology is that we successfully made the crossing on one single battery charge," Rob said.

Adding: "It was 112 years ago that somebody first flew across the Channel in a plane. Now 112 years later we have flown across on a self-propelled surfboard powered by electricity."

Weeks of training and preparation had to be put in before the attempt.

Never want to miss a story like this? You can get all of Daily Star's articles sent directly to your inbox! Sign up in seconds here!

Rob contacted the Guinness World Records, who confirmed they would be creating a new record if they completed the journey.

"We both crashed about four or five times because of the seaweed and choppy conditions," Rob said.

"Every time I crashed I thought that’s it I’ve blown it, because it uses up a lot of battery getting going again.

"You have to swim 10-15ft back to the board then re-arm the motor and get it back on the foil.

"I only had 4% battery left when I got to the finish. We had to ride as slow as possible to preserve the battery."

Source: Read Full Article