Fresh push for peace as Nagorno-Karabakh truce fails: Live news
- New clashes overnight as last week’s Moscow-brokered ceasefire falters
- Some 500 people, including more than 60 civilians, reportedly killed in less than one month of fighting
- Fresh talks planned for Monday in Moscow
09:54 GMT – A couple die in alleged Armenian attack on Azerbaijan
A tweet from Al Jazeera’s Sinem Koseoglu, currently reporting from Azerbaijan, shows the human cost of weeks-long fighting.
09:43 GMT – Russia, which brokered recent ceasefire agreement, calls for peace
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Monday that it was extremely important for ethnic Armenian and Azeri forces to respect a ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh that was brokered by Russia at the weekend.
Since coming into force on Saturday, the truce has frayed, with both sides accusing each other of grave violations and attacks against civilians.
Peskov said the Kremlin was monitoring events on the ground closely.
500 people have been reported killed since then.
Zohrab Mnatsakanyan, Armenia’s foreign minister, was due to hold talks in Moscow later on Monday with his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov.
09:40 GMT – Civilian areas hit in second most-populous city in Azerbaijan
Civilian areas including homes and shops were hit on Sunday in the Azerbaijan city of Ganja, the BBC reported on Sunday. At least nine civilians were reportedly killed.
09:05 GMT – Air raid sirens in Stepanakert heard
Air raid sirens were heard in the city of Stepanakert, Neil Hauer a non-resident fellow at the Middle East Institute posted on Twitter.
The heaviest battles continued to take place in the town of Hadrut, Hauer reported, a city which Azerbaijan say it liberated last week. Armenian authorities have rejected the claims.
8:00 GMT – New Armenia-Azerbaijan clashes as ceasefire crumbles
Armenian and Azerbaijani forces were engaged in new clashes overnight and Monday morning, AFP news agency correspondents said, as the two sides accused each other of violating a Russian-brokered ceasefire over the Nagorno-Karabakh region.
An AFP correspondent in the Azerbaijani town of Barda not far from the front line heard the thumping echoes of shelling Monday morning.
In Nagorno-Karabakh’s main city of Stepanakert, an AFP photographer heard the sounds of shelling from the direction of the town of Hadrut.
Good morning. This is Usaid Siddiqui in Doha and Anealla Safdar in London bringing you the latest updates on the Nagorno-Karabakh crisis today, Monday, October 12. Here’s a quick recap:
After almost two weeks of clashes, marathon talks in Moscow between the warring countries led to a ceasefire agreement that went into effect on Saturday.
Minutes into the agreed truce, however, Armenia and Azerbaijan accused one another of breaking the ceasefire.
Once again, there are minimal hopes for peace being achieved any time soon.
The Russian-brokered ceasefire was meant to halt fighting to allow ethnic Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh and Azeri forces to swap prisoners and war dead under the auspices of the Red Cross.
You can find out more about developments since the truce here.
Looking ahead to Monday, there are more diplomatic efforts to end the crisis, in which at least hundreds have been killed.
Armenia’s foreign minister is due in Moscow on Monday for talks with officials from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe’s (OSCE) Minsk group led by France, Russia and the United States.
More on that later…
Source: Read Full Article