Girl, nine, uses passed-out dads face to open iPhone after carbon monoxide leak

A quick-thinking nine-year-old saved her entire family after a faulty generator filled their house with carbon monoxide.

Jayline Barbosa Brandão heard her dad call out for help and, by the time she’d got to him he had passed out.

But she unlocked his iPhone using its facial recognition feature and called the emergency number.

Jayline’s parents had borrowed a portable generator after powerful storms knocked out the power across Brockton, Massachusetts.

Her mum Marcelina Brandão, later told reporters that they had been without power for three days, but only used the portable generator for a short time before switching it off because it was so noisy.

But the generator had raised the concentration of carbon monoxide to about 1,000 parts per million – enough to lead to unconsciousness and even death.

Marcelina said she had a headache and felt unwell, but thought it was just a migraine.

"I thought it was just a headache," she told radio station WXFT.

"Then two to three minutes I didn’t feel anything after that."

  • 'Superhero' cop catches baby hurled from balcony by man in intense stand-off

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Jayline’s dad lost consciousness too.

"I heard my dad screaming and saw my mom passed out," she said. But her dad’s phone was locked so she couldn’t call for an ambulance.

"So, I unlocked it by using my dad's face," Jayline said.

"She was so smart," Marcelina said. "That was very scary. If it wasn't (for) her to call right away I don't know what would have happened."

Asked if she thought Jayline had saved her life, she said she had no doubt: "Oh yes she did I wouldn’t be here if she wasn’t in the house."

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas and it’s very hard to detect without a proper carbon monoxide detector.

Exposure to concentrations above a couple of parts per million can lead to feelings of dizziness, nausea and shortness of breath,

In low concentrations, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause symptoms similar to food poisoning or flu.

Higher concentrations can lead to mood swings, confusion and – ultimately – death. London Fire Brigade recommend that someone is showing signs of poisoning or has collapsed, you should get them outside, call 999 and ask for an ambulance.

Source: Read Full Article