Insane killer beheaded mum he thought was devil and kept body parts in fridge

A man who became convinced that his own mother was “the devil” and beheaded her before cutting her body into several pieces has been sentenced to an indefinite hospital order.

Ernest Grusza, 41, cut 59-year-old Wiesslawa Mierzejeska into 11 pieces in her flat in St Ives in Cambridgeshire, Cambridge Crown Court was told.

He wrapped her body parts in clingfilm and put them in a cupboard and a fridge, said judge the Honourable Mr Justice Fraser.

The judge said: "One of his most compelling delusions was that his mother was the devil; he was told by God to kill her, and dismember her body, in order to destroy the devil.

"He was convinced she would resurrect if he poured holy water and blood upon her dismembered body parts," the judge added.

Describing the case as "extremely tragic", he said the two Polish nationals were both hard-working people who had lived in the UK for a "number of years".

Witnesses described Grusza as a "quiet and private man, with no hint of violent behaviour at any time”. However his mental health deteriorated from the beginning of this year.

Psychiatrist Professor Keith Rix said that the defendant has bipolar affective disorder, also known as manic depressive illness, and that the killing occurred "in the course of a manic episode".

  • Brit drug smuggler's harrowing tale of escaping Thai jail 'weeks before his execution'

The judge said that Grusza's awareness of what had happened was "limited" and that he had no previous convictions.

After the horrific attack on the morning of February 22 this year, Grusza waked into his local corner shop and the shopkeeper dialled 999.

Police attended and went with Grusza to his mother's flat where they discovered "what can only be described as an utterly nightmarish scene".

"These officers realised fairly quickly that there were assorted human body parts in the flat," the judge said.

"The defendant told them they belonged to his mother.

"Other officers, including firearms officers, attended, the reason for this was the defendant had both a meat cleaver and a wooden bat in his hands at times.

  • Doomsday cult mum laughs and jokes in chilling video hours after husband's murder

The court heard how Grusza unwrapped some of the body parts so he could hold them up to the window for police to see.

Before she died Grusza's mother had tried to have him sectioned under the Mental Health Act, the judge said, and she "sought help for him from a variety of sources, the GP, the police, social services and first response services".

"Tragically, nobody provided the help that she tried to obtain," the judge said.

The judge told Grusza: "Any trial involving the death of a person is always tragic.

"However, here, the very person seeking to obtain the help you so desperately needed, who no doubt loved you deeply, was the person who met their end at your hands."

A jury found Grusza not guilty of murder by reason of insanity.

Stay in the loop with all the latest Daily Star news by signing up to one of our free newsletters here.

The judge sentenced Grusza to an indefinite hospital order under the Mental Health Act.

He told the defendant: "Your detention is likely to be for a considerable period of time, but that is a matter for the mental health professionals and the Secretary of State.

"It is not possible to say for how long you will require treatment, or for how long you will be detained.

"The question of whether and, or when you are released is a matter for the Secretary of State."

Grusza listened to the judge's remarks via a video-link from a secure unit.

Source: Read Full Article