Mum who left baby to starve to death ‘had abandoned daughter 11 times before’

A teen mum that left her baby to starve to death while she went on a six-day bender for her 18th birthday had allegedly abandoned her daughter multiple times before.

Verphy Kudi, now 19, pleaded guilty to manslaughter after she was caught on CCTV footage leaving her home in Brighton alone – leaving her daughter Asiah behind.

Last year, a court heard how she had abandoned the tot over 11 times.

The first incident was less than two months before the toddler died in December 2019, the Times reports.

Prosecutor, Sally Howes QC, told the bail hearing in mid-October 2019, on the first occasion, it was clear to staff that Kudi had left her baby alone, and she was spoken to.

There were allegedly another 11 occasions when she left the baby unsupervised for both short and long periods of time – including when she died.

Seven of the incidents are being treated as "serious" by the prosecution.

The YMCA DownsLink Group, who runs Gocher Court, confirmed that staff at the centre were “aware of a safeguarding incident” involving Kudi.

The charity said: “The incident was referred to the relevant authorities at the time."

  • Grand National Ladies Day: Inside the wildest day in the horse racing calendar

Kudi's family claim no one had contacted them and that it was the first time they'd heard about the ongoing case at court.

Data gathered by Sussex Police showed that Kudi had attended parties in London, Coventry and Solihull during the six-day bender for her 18th birthday.

Once she returned home, she made a 999 call saying her baby would not wake up.

Little Asiah was rushed to Royal Alexandra Children's Hospital but was tragically declared dead on arrival.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

Post-mortem results found that the little girl was dehydrated and starved and died from neglect.

Kudi pleaded guilty to manslaughter when she appeared at Lewes Crown Court between December 4 and 12.

She had been due to stand trial later this year but her plea was accepted by the prosecution and will face sentencing on May 28.

Source: Read Full Article