Parkinsons sufferer kicked out of boozer because staff thought she was drunk
Get quick and easy recipes straight to your inbox
A Parkinson's sufferer was kicked out of a Wetherspoonspub because staff thought she was drunk.
Helen Fish was asked to leave the boozer in Caernarfon, Wales, by a member of staff, who told her she'd had enough to drink.
The 60-year-old, from Scunthorpe, was on holiday with her husband and full-time carer Martin when they decided to visit the Tafarn Y Porth near the town 's historic castle.
But the couple's trip was ruined when they stopped for a few drinks at the pub, WalesOnline reports.
"We had enjoyed a couple of drinks at the pub before going for a walk, after which we sat outside a nearby chip shop and had something to eat," said Helen, who has had the condition for 15 years.
"But then we went back inside the Wetherspoon's to order a couple more drinks – rum and lemonade for me, lager for Martin – at which point a young girl came over said 'you can leave once you've finished these – you've had enough'.
"My husband asked what she'd meant by that and she replied, 'Your wife's falling all over the place'.
"So I tried to explain that I have Parkinson's and that causes me to shake and sway about.
"Honestly, I can't keep still – I even slip and slide whilst sitting down and am forever falling off chairs. But all the the girl could say was 'I'll be keeping an eye on you' – no apology or anything like that."
The former petrol station attendant added that when she informed the bar manager about what had happened, he told her she had upset his employee.
"She was upset? What about me? I've got a walking stick, I wear a pump around my neck to administer morphine and my tablets were out on the table. "
"How could anyone look at me and think anything other than I must have a problem?
"For years I've put up with people staring at me, but I've never been told to leave a pub before because someone's taken me for a drunk."
A JD Wetherspoon spokesman said: "Wetherspoon apologises for the inconvenience and upset caused to Mrs Fish during her visit to the Tafarn Y Porth, Caernarfon.
"Having investigated the matter with the management team, the pub staff mistook the customer's symptoms as possible signs of intoxication.
"When the member of staff was advised that Mrs Fish suffered from Parkinson’s, she apologised for any upset caused by the mistake.
"The company wishes to echo the apology provided by the pub team on the day and, if Mrs Fish wishes to contact the company’s head office directly, then it will address her concerns personally.
"Wetherspoon places great importance on its pubs being welcoming places for all customers and looks forward to Mrs Fish returning as a customer in the future."
Source: Read Full Article