Party-goers suffer carbon monoxide poisoning at illegal rave in Oslo bunker

Around 25 people have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning at an illegal rave in a bunker in Norway.

Up to 200 party-goers in their 20s and 30s had gathered for the event in the capital Oslo.

The source of the poisoning was portable diesel generators that were used to power the lighting and sound systems.

Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas produced by the burning of carbon-based fuels like gas, oil, wood and coal.

It is harmful because it displaces oxygen from red blood cells, which can cause damage to major organs.

Carbon monoxide exposure can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, coughing, breathing problems, and irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat.

In some cases it can be fatal.

Norwegian news agency NTB reported that five people – including two police officers who were first on the scene – were taken to hospital in a critical condition.

However, their lives are not in danger, NTB added, with two of them released from intensive care.

Police discovered the event when a patrol met a group of confused young people in the park where the bunker is located.

Seven people were found unconscious in the bunker by emergency services.

The company that owns the bunker said the illegal event was a “serious break-in” and that it did not bear any responsibility for what happened, according to Norway‘s VG newspaper.

The bunker’s entrance had previously been closed with double-reinforced concrete, but it was reopened by the new owners and only secured with wooden boards.

According to the event’s organisers, the diesel generators were in a room with ventilation.

However, neither police nor the fire department were able to confirm that.

Several people who went to the event told Norwegian media that they had to go outside several times to breathe fresh air.

Source: Read Full Article