Schoolkids treated in hospital after pupil hands out cannabis cookies in class

Three school pupils were treated in a hospital after a fellow student gave them 'home-made' cookies laced with cannabis.

The teenagers at the City of Leicester College, in Evington, Leicester, fell ill on Thursday last week, and have since recovered.

Police and the school's leaders have launched an investigation, Leicestershire Live reports.

The school believes the pupil shared the biscuits with a group of their friends.

However, the parent of one of the children who was taken to the hospital believes they were dished out randomly.

The father said his child "turned grey" after eating the food, and had "a really bad couple of days", but began to feel better over the weekend.

The man said his child was "easily led" and had accepted the cookie from a pupil they were not friends with, and had not known it contained the class B drug.

He said: "I was in tears – my child had no idea this cookie had cannabis in it and ended up in A&E and was put on an ECG machine.

"While we were in the hospital we met the parents of two other children who had become unwell.

"The children seem to have been given these cookies at different times of the day.

"As far as we know, the student wasn't just giving them to friends, it was also random kids like my child.

"I've never heard of anything like this before."

Ken Vernon, the headteacher at the Downing Drive school, which is now closed for the Easter break, said he and his team were working with Leicestershire Police to establish exactly what had happened.

  • Sick puppy dies within hours after heartbroken family fooled by cruel breeders

Mr Vernon said: "On March 25, a student brought homemade biscuits into the college and distributed them to a small number of their friends at lunchtime.

"These biscuits appear to have contained cannabis and the students involved became ill.

"This was an isolated event and our staff were fantastic in ensuring the safety of our students, having recently been on city-wide training for how to spot and deal with young people who have consumed edible drugs.

"We are extremely pleased to hear the students have all recovered and we are currently dealing with an incident in collaboration with the police."

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

A Leicestershire Police spokesman said: "On Thursday, March 25 officers were contacted by a secondary school in the Evington area of Leicester reporting that several pupils had fallen ill after eating food that is believed to have contained cannabis.

"Three pupils were taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary as a precaution.

"The school is working closely with Leicestershire Police schools officers and substance misuse officers.

"Inquires are ongoing."

Source: Read Full Article