Sleeping family with Covid couldn’t smell house fire – but were saved by teen

A family who couldn’t smell their house on fire due to having coronavirus were amazingly saved after a fourth member without the virus alerted them.

The blaze erupted in the early hours of Friday morning (January 15) in Waco, Texas, US.

Bianca Rivera, 17, was the only member of her family not to have contracted coronavirus and so was able to smell the impending danger.

She alerted the other three in her household and all four managed to escape safely.

“I don’t really count myself as a hero,” she said.

“I would just do whatever anyone else would do for their own family I just wanted to get everyone else safe and alive that’s all I wanted that’s all I wanted was to keep everyone alive.”

The heroic teen said she smelled something burning at around 2am.

“I started smelling burnt plastic and that’s when I got more alert and ran outside of my room and I couldn’t even pass the hallway because it was filled with so much smoke," she added.

“I knew I had to wake everyone up.

“I opened the back door and I got everyone out one by one.”

And it wasn’t just her family that she managed to save. Bianca also got the family’s four dogs out of the house in time.

The teenager said she was not worried about getting hurt, adding: “As long as I got them out safe and sound I was going to be fine.”

The Red Cross is now assisting the family, who are renting a motel home while they try to find a new place to live.

Source: Read Full Article