Student tried to make homemade rocket fuel – instead caused monster fireball

A university student was brewing homemade rocket fuel in a dorm kitchen when it sparked a huge "fireball" explosion.

A blast from the experiment set off the fire alarms and sprinklers in the dorm halls, causing flooding in parts of the building.

The student from Brigham Young University, Utah, started the experiment at around 4.30pm.

BYU police said they and the Provo Fire Department responded to the blast.

Police said in a statement: “The flames from the explosion had engulfed the walls and ceiling around the stove and the intense heat tripped the fire sprinkler system.

"Firefighters quickly secured the scene and were able to put out the remnants from the fire."

Police reported that the building suffered "extensive damage" but no one was injured in the explosion.

However, 22 residents were moved due to the flooding from the sprinklers in the building.

“Please keep your experiments in the lab and supervised by trained professionals,” police said.

According to the university's website, people in the dorms share a kitchen with up to six others.

Photos have been released which show responders walking through inches of water in the corridors of the building.

In another picture, kitchen cabinets and the ceiling above the stove can be seen charred.

It is not clear why the student was making rocket fuel on his stove, or if the university have disciplined the trouble maker.

On Monday, BYU police gave an update: “It is clear that this situation could have been much worse and we are grateful that no one was injured.

“We urge students to be aware of circumstances around them and consider how their actions have the potential to affect not just themselves, but others as well.”

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article