Terrified mum in coronavirus warning after she just thought baby was teething
Distraught mum Jess Mitchell from Looe, Cornwall, has revealed the harrowing moment she learned her son Perran was struck down by the coronavirus.
While little Perran is thankfully expected to make a full recovery, Jess warned others about the dangers of babies and toddlers being “secret carriers” of the disease.
Jess, who works in admin for Devon and Cornwall Police, said she first noticed symptoms on Sunday but did not initially think anything was seriously wrong.
At first, Jess thought Perran had been teething before she realised it was much more serious.
The 32-year-old said: “It was Mother’s Day and he woke up in a bit of a funk with a temperature but we thought he was badly teething.
“We got up early to get some fresh air and thought the cold could help with his temperature but did not think much more of it.
“We took him for a walk but from lunchtime onwards he started to go downhill quickly.
“He went really lethargic and really cuddly, which was not like him. He then had a horrendous temperature.”
She continued: ”He had no breathing difficulties or a cough but was on fire with his temperature."
Jess said the whole family including her husband Joe, 33, and daughter Felicity, four, are now in 14 days isolation.
She added: "We tested his temperature and it was over 39 degrees. Then we got really worried and we did not know what to do.
''There is a lot of advice out there but it is not clear for children and babies. He is the only one. We phoned 111 and after speaking to five different people we got through to a doctor who was really reassuring.
"People think babies won't get it and it is vital we put the message out they do. They will get it but just might not get the severe repercussions.
“They can still be carriers though and that is what makes it dangerous. Although he doesn't have it as severely as some it has still knocked him for six.
''People think children are immune but they are still getting it.
He should bounce back but it has still been a bit of a shock for us all. My mum is in the same house and we have to self isolate away from her as she is 66 and has health concerns.
"Perran is still not himself, He is really hot and is jerking awake. He is not really eating but should be ok.
''But as a mother, it has been a horrible thing to go through. He has been really poorly.
"People are still not understanding the severity of what we are in and you still see some being selfish. We have been quite shocked. We assumed we would get it and not him.
"I just urge everyone to follow the guidelines. Anyone can get it – young or old. 'A baby or healthy 30-year-old might be ok, but it is the vulnerable people they might give it to that will die."
Perran's dad Joe also issued an appeal on Facebook for people to be aware of the dangers.
He said: "Please take this virus seriously. 111 are telling us his symptoms are Coronavirus. My son. The infection has got to him through means we cannot comprehend. This is real.
"The beaches in Cornwall were packed today, the streets and shops are full of people buying stuff they do not need.
"COVID19 is a serious threat to the lives of thousands of people. Perry has been so ill today and our family is now in isolation for 14 days, minimum.
"80% of people will catch this and it is projected 23,000 people will DIE in Cornwall alone on its current trajectory. Get indoors – nothing is more important than your health and that of your family."
Source: Read Full Article