Tour guide, 40, dies in grizzly bear horror while out fishing near national park

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

A tour guide who was mauled by a grizzly bear while he was out fishing in the US has died of a "massive stroke".

Carl Mock, 40, was attacked by a beast weighing up to 360kg outside of a town in Montana, near Yellowstone National Park.

He was rushed to hospital on Thursday and had surgery but later died of a "massive stroke", according to an online fundraising page.

Authorities launched a probe in the wake of the attack and came across a bear near to the scene, which charged the search party, the Mirror reports.

It was then shot and killed, the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Department (MFWPD) said.

"Investigators later found a moose carcass cached within 50 yards of Thursday’s attack," a statement added.

"This indicates the bear was defending a food source during the attack."

A GoFundMe set up for Mr Mock has already reached its goal of $30,000 (£21,523).

Announcing his death, it said: "Carl suffered a massive stroke and sadly, he didn’t make it through.

"This comes as a terrible shock and is heartbreaking to everyone, since both the surgeries went so well."

It added: "Carl has such passion for outdoors, hiking, fishing, photography, and is a beloved guide to countless visitors in Yellowstone.

  • Haunting images show how animals 'will look in 100 years' due to climate catastrophe

"He is a hard-working guy with an infectious smile. He is a loyal friend that would help any of us however he could.

"We have created this fundraiser to help our friend in a time of need."

The MFWPD statement said that Mr Mock "was alone during the bear encounter."

"The man had bear spray with him, but it’s unclear whether he was able to deploy it during the attack," it said.

  • Circus worker scalped to death by bear in cage 'was teaching himself to be trainer'

The statement added that officials visited the site of the horror attack to assess further threats to public safety.

It was then that a bear was encountered and gunned down.

"(Investigators) yelled and made continuous noise as they walked toward the site to haze away any bears in the area." it said.

"Before they reached the site, a bear began charging the group.

"Despite multiple attempts by all seven people to haze away the bear, it continued its charge.

"Due to this immediate safety risk, the bear was shot and died about 20 yards from the group. The bear was an older-age male grizzly."

  • Fishing
  • Animals

Source: Read Full Article