WHO outlines how long coronavirus pandemic ‘will be with us’ as death toll rises
WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus issued the grim warning via a virtual press briefing.
Tedros warned that most countries are still in early stages of dealing with the virus.
He told the press briefing: “Most countries are still in the early stages of their epidemics and some that were affected early in the pandemic are starting to see a resurgence of cases.
“Make no mistake: we have a long way to go.
“This virus will be with us for a long time.
BACK BRITAIN’S BRAVE NHS HEROES – CLICK HERE NOW
The director-general noted that Western Europe has seen major progress as it has dealt with the virus for months.
But the WHO warned that there were “upward trends” of infections in some parts of Africa, as well as Central and South America.
They added that opening up global travel needed to managed carefully.
American and parts of Western Europe have begun eyeing up easing lockdown measures after social distancing measures have begun to flatten the curve of infections.
The WHO’s top emergencies expert Dr Mike Ryan warned against opening up global travel too quickly, saying it would require “careful risk management.”
LATEST: Australia sees major coronavirus breakthrough in weeks after only four new cases
Express.co.uk has started a campaign to get Tom Moore a knighthood, please visit here to sign up to our petition.
It comes as a former WHO boss has admitted scientists still don’t know whether people can catch the virus again after they have recovered from it.
Professor David Heymann said the possibility people may have coronavirus more than once is ‘the question that everyone is trying to answer right now’.
He said: “The answer is that it is not known.
“It is not known how long antibody protection lasts.
“It is not known if all of the people can be detected under current testing.
“This is a new virus, so that question cannot be answered.”
Coronavirus ‘won’t disappear’ Chris Whitty warns social distancing could last all YEAR [INSIGHT]
Hancock blasts conspiracy theories as Chinese campaign exposed [UPDATE]
Michael Gove warns UK ‘should not be thinking of lifting lockdown yet’ [INTERVIEW]
The WHO have been under major scrutiny over the last week for it’s perceived lack of action over the viral outbreak.
President Donald Trump said his administration would halt all funding to WHO on April 14.
Senior US officials said Wednesday that while “existing work is continuing,” any “new funding” would be paused while a review is conducted.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock today said the UK is in the ‘peak’ of the outbreak as the UK announced 759 more hospital deaths.
The UK has so far seen 18,100 coronavirus deaths as of Thursday 23 April.
Estimates of wider-ranging statistics has claimed the outbreak may have killed more than 41,000 when non-hospital deaths are included.
The National Records of Scotland revealed today that coronavirus deaths are 79 per cent larger than government statistics show with a third of all people dying with the virus dying in care homes.
Source: Read Full Article