World War 3 fears: Russia releases new rules for using nuclear weapons in conflict
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Tensions around the world continue to rise and fears of a nuclear war outbreak have been increased as Russia’s President Vladimir Putin has outlined four scenarios for using nuclear weapons.
According to News Week, a document, which was approved by Mr Putin, details various scenarios in which Moscow could order the use of nuclear weapons – prompting World War 3 fears.
Two of them are new and involve potential instances of nuclear first-use, the document says.
The protocol permits they will be used if an enemy uses nuclear or other weapons of mass destruction on Russia or its allies.
It also includes situations where conventional weapons “threaten the very existence of the country”.
The new provisions include cases where the government receives “reliable information” that a ballistic missile attack is imminent.
The second new protocol is if an enemies danger to the country is critical and military facilities such as if the ability to retaliate with nuclear weapons is disrupted.
The document explains how containing and deterring aggressions against Russia is being treated with “the highest national priorities”.
Over recent weeks, Russia has continued to show its military might and plans to complete more than 100 military drills this summer.
As of Monday (June 1), Russia’s Strategic Missile Force will begin performing various military drills during the summer training period.
Last month, Russia’s navy showed off its military might during long-distance deployment drills in the Pacific.
The fleet, which consists of the corvettes Sovershenny and Gromky, departed from Vladivostok for its deployment in waters.
Russia also revealed a terrifying new military weapon which is set to be out in waters in late June.
Vladimir Putin’s ferocious threat to EU exposed: ‘I can invade!’ [REVEAL]
Putin FURY: Russia issues dire warning to US over coronavirus fight [INSIGHT]
How Nigel Farage sparked backlash with Vladimir Putin confession [OPINION]
Both the US and Russia have tens of thousands nuclear weapons obtained during the Cold War.
Although they have both taken steps towards non-proliferation, they both hold the world’s largest stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction.
Due to the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START), the two countries are limited to no more than 700 deployed intercontinental ballistic missiles, submarine-launched ballistic missiles, and strategic bombers.
It also limits the countries to no more than 1,550 deployed warheads and 800 deployed and non-deployed launchers.
The Treaty will reportedly remain until 2021 unless a new document is signed to replace it.
It can also be extended for no more than five years if both parties mutually agree.
Last month, China refused talks with Russia and the US regarding strategic arms controls as worldwide tensions continue to rise.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian argued that Russia and the US both “possess the largest nuclear arsenals” and therefore should have the responsibility for reducing them.
He also said that China will not engage in any “trilateral talks on strategic arms controls”.
Mr Lijian said: “New START remains an important nuclear treaty between Russia and the US and requires great attention.
“It is the foundation of strategic stability for the two countries, as well as the basis of global strategic stability.
“China has no intention of engaging in any trilateral talks on strategic arms control.”
Source: Read Full Article