Hero bodybuilder who saved women from vicious dog attack found dead in bedroom

A hero bodybuilder who wrestled a savage dog to save two women, has died at the age of 49.

Matthew Beddow was found dead in his bedroom last month on the morning of August 9. An investigation was launched into the cause of the widely-respected muscle man who was unemployed due to ill health.

In his hour of bravery which propelled him to news headlines in 2006, Matthew put his body on the line to tackle an out-of-control dog before driving its two victims to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth, Devon. Together with another man, the bodybuilder was credited by one of the women as saving her life from the canine beast before it could sink its teeth into her throat.

READ MORE: Woman who ‘conned banker boyfriend over £4m estate’ died after cocktail of drugs

As dog attacks continue to dominate the news at an alarming rate, don't miss our updates here.

PlymouthLive reports how an inquest hearing on September 25 told the court: "Matthew was found unresponsive in the bedroom. Ambulance and police attended the address. Sadly, despite the paramedics best efforts life was pronounced extinct at 7.54am on August, 9 2023."

In the opening statement document, released by the coroner's office following the hearing on September 25, it was said at the time of his passing Mr Beddow was single, although it is understood he was in a relationship. He was known locally as a keen bodybuilder and highly regarded by other bodybuilders in the city.

The coroner noted a post-mortem examination had taken place and further investigations were required to establish the cause of death. However, the coroner stressed there were no suspicious circumstances. The hearing was adjourned and a full inquest which is likely to hear statements from a number of people including potential witnesses, a pathologist and toxicologist, will take place at a later date.

Mr Beddow previously hit the headlines when he saved two women from a vicious dog attack which had torn a leg and part of an arm off in 2006. One of the women said of the hero and another man came to her aid: "I owe my life to these two men. They made sure the dog didn't kill me." She revealed how she had spent several hours in surgery on the first day and required more operation afterwards.

In an interview with Plymouth Herald from her hospital bed, she added: "I owe Matt my life. It it wasn't for him I could be dead. He kept me calm throughout and told me everything would be alright. He stopped that dog from moving his teeth to my face or throat."

For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

Source: Read Full Article