Rottweilers rip off mans left leg, right arm and middle finger in savage attack

A pensioner who had his left leg, right arm and left middle finger ripped off in a savage dog attack has spoken out.

Vic Franklin was mauled outside his home in Bognor Regis, West Sussex, on August 18 of this year. The 77-year-old was airlifted to hospital, where he underwent several surgeries after losing the limbs.

Mr Franklin was brutalised by two canines, believed to be rottweilers. Police responding to the attack were forced to fatally shoot the animals to stop them continuing the attack.

READ MORE: XL Bully owner 'living in fear' and spat at in street as breed ban comes into force

For more information and stories about dogs, click here.

The man is still in hospital recovering but was quick to offer his thanks to the emergency workers who rescued him. He said: "Simply put, I wouldn't be here without the assistance of our emergency service workers.

"From the first responders including police and paramedics, to the air ambulance crew and the selfless staff at Royal Sussex County Hospital, I am eternally grateful."

Specialist police firearms officers were deployed to the scene following a spate of 999 calls from concerned members of the public. They were granted authority to bring the dogs safely under control before killing them.

After the attack Mr Franklin's son Lee praised his father's bravery. He said: "We were completely devastated when we heard what happened.

"It sent shockwaves through the family because dad has been the glue that holds us all together. Our main concern was not only the preservation of his life, but also the quality of his life.

  • ‘I waited with axe victim whose brains were visible when psycho returned to finish job’

"We realised we didn't have a choice and after having his left leg, right arm and left middle finger amputated, we feared the worst. You just don't know what's going to happen.

"But with dad in recovery now, everyone who sees him says how much of an inspiration he is. He's still dad, and he still manages to make everyone laugh."

Lee added: "The first thing he said when he woke up from surgery was 'everyone is safe now' after hearing the news about the attack.

"His first thought was to ensure everyone was safe and that the dogs could do no further harm. As far as we're concerned he's our hero."

Police confirmed a 29-year-old man from the area has been arrested on suspicion of being responsible for the dangerously out-of-control dog. He was bailed until November 16, pending further enquiries.

The investigation is ongoing and anyone with any information who has not yet come forward is urged to report it online or call 101, quoting Op Byfleet.

For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

Source: Read Full Article